Upgrading an Australian Tivo’s hard drive
I have just installed a WD1002FAEX in my Tivo after my GreenPower 1TB hard drive failed. It is working well, nice and fast, though a little noisy.
This is just a brief list of what you need to do. If you have more questions just ask in the comments.
- Open Tivo by unscrewing the 6 Torx-15 screws at the back of the unit (you will need a Torx-15 screwdriver)
- Remove the hard drive by unscrewing the 4 Torx-15 screws
- Remove the hard drive from its caddy (the metal thing) by unscrewing he 4 Torx-15 screws at the base of the drive
- Go to a Windows computer and download WinMFS
- Plug the drive into a computer via SATA
- Open WinMFS and backup the hard drive (in WinMFS go to File->Backup->Tivo Hard Drive)
- Shutdown the Windows computer and connect your new drive and power it back up again
- Open WinMFS and restore the image to your new drive (in WinMFS go to File->Restore->Tivo Hard Drive – find the image of the backup you made earlier and press restore)
- Put everything back together and you are done.